Monday, April 23, 2012

Patrol Box - Chapter 3

The drawings don't account for the thickness of the surfaced wood as I didn't know how much material I'd have to remove before I drew up the design or how structurally stable the material would be in setting the depth of my joints.   Depending on the piece I was cutting, I made them a little longer to account for this difference between the original drawing and the finished cedar boards.  


Adrian cutting the tongue and grooves on the router table for each piece.


As can be seen from the photograph, the boards still retain quite a bit of the character the weathering left behind.   These surface cracks do not run through the wood nor will they cause any structural concerns for the finished project.


This photograph shows one of the assembled sides.   Gorilla glue was used instead of traditional wood glue primarily because this box will be used outside.   Gorilla glue is a water activated polyvinyl acetate that once cures, cannot be solubilized by water.  The patrol box is a great application for this glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment